Do you believe I am horse crazy, or just crazy?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

08 DEC 10: Rule of... twos?

If anyone is a glutton for punishment, it's me.

I have been having quite the streak of bad luck lately. The first instance was with my gelding, Forest. Only someone as stupid as I am would want to ride english to practice jumps, then turn around and try to do barrels. Now most people would be under the assumption that this was on two different occasions. Oh no. No no no. Lady S., being the psycho that she is, has used doing a few barrel runs as Forest's reward for behaving himself over jumps that he is not always used to. Well unfortunately he has the tendency to get a little excited, so yesterday, as I do everytime, I made him trot a keyhole pattern for the first run. The unfortunate part is that on the second run when I let him canter, on his run home he became a little bucky and of course my fat ass came crashing to the sand, I bruised said fat ass, and was left on my back with one foot still in the stirrup. I'm thankful he is not the type of horse to start running, or continue running home as most extremely well trained barrel horses tend to do. The poor boy though! He was looking at me like he didn't understand what was going on. Of course, in my typical fashion, I dusted myself off and hopped back on and made him run it again at a slower canter. Of course, my boy behaved and did what mommy said... thank goodness!

Oh but it doesn't stop there. I came into work today with the expectation that we would put the number four fuel tank on tail number 327 on vent today in order to carry out a confined space leak snag inside the tank. Now due to the stress put on certain parts of the wing, it can make it extra difficult to remove access panels on the top of the wing. We have a large apparatus called a wing steady that is essentially a support that goes under the wing and is cranked upwards to take the stress off the wing. Well in order to get this thing tall enough to fit under the wing, we have to adjust the upper slip tube. The top portion though is sepparate. It's a 50 lb banana shape piece of wood and metal with rubber tube padding so as not to damage the paint or the skin on the wing. Well in adjusting this slip tube, instead of it going up, the tube came down, releasing the bottom of the "banana" that slips inside the tube and allowed it to topple down to the ground. Well yours truly looked up just as it was coming down... and the padded portion caught me straight against the right side of my face. Shockingly I am not broken. But my lips did split in three places, I have a cut on the inside of my left nostral that bled, and my nose, above my right eyebrow, and my right eye are bruised. The impact also transferred into my shoulders causing a lot of muscle tension, and of course my head is killing me. Yeah, I am totally a glutton for punishment. And this is of course the second time my work has had to take me to the base hospital since I was posted in. If I keep going like this, I'll be transported there atleast once a year!

Now I think that I should be watching over my shoulder tomorrow as it's usually the rule of threes, not twos, but maybe I'll get lucky for once. I'm owed a fair sized cheque from karma by this point.

TTFN,
Lady S.

No comments:

Post a Comment